Published August 21, 2006 - Alan's Hits and Misses (Different sequence) in the Holland Sentinel
Hit: Israel's attack on Hezbollah should be a lesson for all nations who oppose terrorism to follow. Terrorists attacked Israel, killing and kidnapping a number of their citizens. Israel gave ample warning to Hezbollah, calling for the return of their two kidnapped soldiers. Hezbollah refused and Israel kicked the living crap out of them for over a month. Make no mistake about it. This is not just about two young men who were abducted by cowards. This is about a nation standing up to terrorist aggression and taking appropriate action to prevent similar future acts. All countries who harbor terrorists should take a lesson from the people of Lebanon. "If you sleep with terrorists, you just might get blown out of your bed!"
Miss: The bleeding heart liberals in the United Nations and all across this globe who expressed any sympathy for Hezbollah have caused grave damage in the war on terror. Showing sympathy for terrorists is a bad move, no matter how you slice it. The U.N. gave Sheik Hassan Nasrallah a huge victory for Hezbollah by openly criticizing Israel for their actions against this band of cut-throats. This victory extends all terrorists, who now know that if they can make the victim look like the aggressor, the world will turn on them, as many have turned on Israel. Once again, the United Nations has proven to be worthless, when it comes to the war on terror. We need to get the U.N. out of the U.S. and get the U.S. out of the U.N. (Photo is old file)
Hit: I would like to congratulate Al Friend and the Holland Peacemakers for their recent victory. They fought a long and hard battle to place a new peace pole in a Holland city park. On July 5, their efforts paid off when the Holland City Council voted unanimously to allow them to place a new peace pole in Smallenburg Park. This just goes to prove that if you want peace bad enough and if you are willing to fight hard enough, peace can be achieved. We can only hope the Holland Peacemakers will learn and understand that this same rule applies to the real world. Sometimes it takes a long, hard-fought battle to achieve peace, not a piece of wood in a small-town park.
Miss: It is sad that fewer than 20 percent of the Ottawa and Allegan County registered voters made it to the polls to vote on Aug. 8 The primary election can be just as important as the general election for many races. In some cases, the primary is the only election for that race. How is it that 80 percent of the registered voters could allow the other 20 percent to decide their fate regarding road repairs, tax increases and candidates who will represent them in the general election? To the 20 percent I say, "Congratulations and thanks!" To the 80 percent I say, "You had your chance to let your voice be heard, so don't let us hear you complaining about anything that came from this year's primary."
Miss: When did we become so selfish that we think the whole road belongs to us and us alone? I am so tired of having to dodge idiots on the road who believe that since the trash truck is stopped in front of them, they can force me off the road as they go around it. This same act of stupidity applies to drivers with mail trucks, yard debris, bicyclists and any other obstacle in their path. How does it happen? Driver No. 1 comes up behind something in his lane and swerves left of center into oncoming traffic so that he doesn't have to slow down. Driver No. 2 (coming from the opposite direction) has to swerve or stop in order to avoid getting hit head-on by driver No. 1. Let's get this straight: Having an obstacle in your lane does not give you the right to cross left of center into oncoming traffic. Tell a friend!